Donegal is a very easily accessed county, with many different forms of transport available.
We have gathered some information on the distance to and from the many local airports and ferry ports to Pennsylvania house.
Airport – Pennsylvania House Transport Distance
Ferry Ports – Pennsylvania House.
Below we have also added the distance from Pennsylvania House to many of the local attractions, Hopefully this will aid you in planning your trip.
Glenvagh National Park is some 16,540 hectares (40,873 acres) of mountains, lakes, glens and woods, with a herd of red deer. A Scottish style castle is surrounded by one of the finest gardens in Ireland, which contrast with the rugged surroundings. The Visitor Centre houses exhibitions and an audio-visual show.
The Visitor Centre is accessible for visitors with disabilities.
Built in the years 1870 – 1873, the castle consists of a four storey rectangular keep. Access to the interior is by tour only. Morning and afternoon teas are served in the castle tearooms all season. The ground floor of the castle is partially accessible for visitors with disabilities.
Location: 24km north-west of Letterkenny. Kilmacrennan / Termon to Dunlewy Road or Churchill to Dunlewy Road).
MARBLE HILL BEACH
LETTERKENNY GOLF CLUB
BALLYLIFFIN GOLF CLUB
BALLYLIFFIN, INISHOWEN, DONEGAL
+353 74 9376119
ROSAPENNA GOLF CLUB,
DOWNINGS, ROSAPENNA, DONEGAL
+353 74 9155301
PORTSALON GOLF CLUB
PORTSALON, LETTERKENNY, DONEGAL
+353 74 9159459
DUNFANAGHY GOLF CLUB
KILL, DUNFANAGHY, DONEGAL
+353 74 9136335
LETTERKENNY GOLF CLUB
BARNHILL, LETTERKENNY, DONEGAL
+353 74 9159459
Inishowen is a peninsula in County Donegal, Ireland. It is also the largest peninsula in all of the island of Ireland. Inishowen is a picturesque location with a rich history. The peninsula includes Irelands’ most northerly point, Malin Head, along with Lagg sand dunes, some of the highest in Europe, as well as Grianán an Aileach, a royal fort constructed by the Clan Uí Néill in the sixth century. The Grianán stands at the entrance to the peninsula.
The Inishowen Genealogy Centre offers a genealogical service with data about familes from across the north west of Ireland. The premises is a former residence dating from the 17th century which safeguards important records from across the Inishowen region. The staff at the centre deals with all types of researchers tracing ancestry and their computers contain information about local families.
GRIANAN OF AILEACH FORT
This mysterious ancient ring fort is unquestionably the most interesting antiquity in Inishowen. Built of dry stones, the circular fort commands one of the most breathtaking views to be found anywhere in Ireland, Looking down on a vast panorama of fields, mountains, valleys, rivers and ocean, that covers five counties – its a must see for any visitor. This ring fort belongs to the most impressive ancient monuments Donegals..
It is believed to have been built as a pagan temple around the 5th century BC. The fort became the royal residence of the O’Neill’s. It was damaged in the 12th century and was restored in 1870. The fort stands at the entrance to the Inishowen Peninsula, overlooking Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle. If the weather is clear, you have a memorable and fantastic panorama view.
DOAGH FAMINE VILLAGE
Located on the beautiful Isle of Doagh on Inishowen the Doagh Visitor Centre opened in 1997 on a small scale. Many new displays have since been added.
The outdoor museum tells the story of life in this area in the 1970’s going back to the Famine in the 1840’s. A Famine Village and typical dwellings, from those lived in earlier times such as Sod or Turf Houses.
The Irish Famine was at worst during the years 1845 to 1848, over this period the population dropped from 8 million to 4 million through death and emigration.
The staff at the centre offer guided tours, who in less than 15 minutes will give you an understanding of past Irish history.
Views from the car park area and the cliffs give good opportunities for observing sea life at the mouth of Lough Swilly. Bottle Nose Dolphins are sometimes seen in large numbers and the Otter, normally associated more with rivers than the sea, can also be seen hunting fish and crabs below the cliffs.
Near to the spot where Wolfe Tone was brought ashore in 1798 a small fort was erected to guard against the possible return of a French invasion fleet. In the late 19th century the fort was enlarged and modernised. It was transferred to Ireland in 1938, just before the beginning of the Second World War. During the war Irish Forces were based there to prevent the navies of warring nations from violating the country’s neutrality
An Clochán Liath (called Dungloe or Dunglow in English) is a Gaeltacht town in County Donegal, Ireland. It is the main town in The Rosses and the largest in the Donegal Gaeltacht.
There is a river at the bottom of the town and years ago the only crossing was over a grey granite slab lying in the riverbed, hence the Irish name of the town, an Clochán Liath, which means the grey stepping-stone. The bridge was built in 1762.
THE MARY FROM DUNGLOE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
The Mary From Dungloe International Festival is a popular Irish music festival held annually in Dungloe, the capital of the Rosses region in County Donegal. This 10 day festival usually takes place at the end of July. The festival has grown in popularity over the years and now regularly attracts thousands of visitors to the area.
The festival is centered around a pageant to ascertain which contestant best reflects the spirit of the festival. This contestant is then crowned “Mary From Dungloe”. The winner holds the title for a year and during that time she acts as a goodwill ambassador for the festival. The Dungloe Festival was launched in 1967.
DANIEL O’DONNELL VISITOR CENTRE
He is one of Donegal’s greatest ambassadors and now Daniel O’Donnell has his own museum/visitors’ centre in Dungloe. The Daniel O”Donnell Visitor Centre is an amazing tribute to the Kincasslagh singer. The centre is a Museum dedicated to his life. It will take you through his childhood, adolescence and into the world renowned icon he is today.
If you are a fan of Daniel O’Donnell then you will not want to miss a trip to Dungloe to experience this dedicated permanent tribute to the boy from Donegal.
Errigal (An Earagail in gaelige), is mountain near Gweedore and it is the tallest peak of the Derryveagh Mountains, the tallest peak in County Donegal, and the 76th tallest peak in Ireland.
Errigal is also the most southern, steepest and highest of the mountain chain, called the “Seven Sisters” by locals. On a clear day enjoy amazing views towards Muckish, Tory Island, Bloody Foreland and Slieve Snaght.
After reaching the summit, people usually walk the short but exposed walk along ‘One Man’s Pass’ which leads across to the second and lower of the twin summits. No special equipment is needed to climb the mountain, but caution is advised.
In the sixth century, Glencolmcille was chosen as a base by St. Columba, one of Ireland’s three patron saints, along with Patrick and Brigid.
James Mc Dyer was born in a small town land called Kilraine in Glenties Co. Donegal on the 14th of September 1910. He was the youngest child of seven. Father McDyer’s most indelible impression of his childhood and adolescence was the ‘convoy’. This was the gathering of neighbours in the homes of those who were about to emigrate in order to wish them a last farewell on their trip.
The Folk Village Museum offers an excellentﾠguided tourﾠfor the visitor. In the tour you will experience life as it was in the 1700’s, 1800’s and 1900’s. The thatched cottage are exact replicas of those belonging to that era and are furnished accordingly.
The Glengesh Pass is a windy section of the road that connects Glencolmcille to Ardara. The distance between the two towns is approximately 15 miles. During the drive, motorists can enjoy the farmland, desolate moorland, and tranquil setting.
SLIEVE LEAGUE CLIFFS
Slieve League Cliffs (or Sliabh Liag in Gaelic), situated on the south west coast of County Donegal, are said to be the one of the highest and finest marine cliffs in Europe. To fully enjoy the spectacle of Slieve League it is best to leave your car at the car park and walk the few miles to the cliffs so as not to miss the exciting scenery of the area.
There are terrific views of the Atlantic Ocean, the Sligo Mountains and Donegal Bay as you walk towards the terrifyingly high top of Sliabh League, where the cliff face of Bunglas rises over 600m above the raging ocean. Experienced walkers only should venture beyond the viewing point onto One Man’s Pass which loops around onto the Pilgrim’s Path.
Killybegs is an important fishing port at the southern coast of Donegal. It is an event, to see the arrival of the trawlers and how they offload the catch.
Killybegs in Irish is ‘Na Cealla Beaga’ which means little cells due to its association with an early monastic settlement there is evidence of as many as twenty ring forts, most of them near the shore. The town was named in early Christian times, the name Na Cealla Beaga referring to a group of monastic cells.
Killybegs existence as a fishing port is not recent. When the O’Donnell chieftains were known as the “best lord(s) of fish in Ireland” in the sixteenth century, Killybegs was the chief port of Tír Chonaill.
The 6th Century was a lively time in Killybegs. According to the Annals of the Four Masters, the town was ransacked by the notorious Irish pirates the O’Malley’s in 1513 while its men folk were off fighting.
Fishing provided much employment in the past and is still a chief source employment. Another major employer in Killybegs, was Donegal Carpets. At its peak the hand knotted carpet factory employed as many as 80 workers the majority were women. Carpets were made here for Buckingham Palace, the White House, Aras an Uachtarain, and many other prestigious buildings around the world.
Donegal Town is a busy shopping and tourist town in south Donegal where the River Eske flows into Donegal Bay. It was invaded by the Vikings in the 8th century and they used it as a port. This invasion is where the town got its Gaelic name, Dun na nGall, which means ’Fort of the Foreigners’. The Vikings built a garrison in the town, thought to have been in the grounds where O’Donnells Castle/Donegal Castle now stands.
In recent years human remains were found in the grounds of Castle these are thought to be Viking. Donegal Town continued as a port until the 1960s when the last commercial boat left the harbour, sailing to Scotland with its load of electricity poles.
Built by the O’Donnell chieftains in the 15th Century, beside the river Eske in Donegal Town, Donegal Castle was rebuilt in Jacobean style in the 16th Century by Sir Basil Brooke, after Hugh O’Donnell burnt it to the ground rather than let it fall into enemy hands.
Recently the Office of Public Works has renovated the castle. The keep has had new roofing and flooring added, in keeping with the original styles and techniques used in the 15th and 17th centuries. The stonework has been restored and the manor wing has been partially roofed. The oak timbers used came from the Brookeborough Estate in County Fermanagh. The castle is now open to the public and often hosts events such as Gaelic cultural evenings.
In Donegal, hand-weaving is a skill that has been passed down for centuries through many generations. In the old days, many families lived by hand-spinning and hand-weaving cloth in their homes.
The crofter’s wife made brews of moss and lichen into which to dip and dye the pure new wool from the household sheep. Her husband would then weave the unique family product into cloth to be sold at the tweed market.
Molloy Sweaters Ltd is a family run business located in a region noted for its tradition in knitting, weaving, sheep farming, and fishing.
The company was founded by pioneering hand weaver and craftsman, John Molloy. John Molloy (Ardara) Ltd manufactures a range of Men’s and Women’s knitwear for export across the world.
Their range embraces both traditional Irish Aran fisherman’s sweaters and contemporary fashion knitwear. The John Molloy label offers a diverse range of fashion knitwear accessories, hats, caps, scarves, ponchos, capes, mittens and gloves. John Molloy’s Donegal Tweed range includes fabrics, jackets, caps, and ties.