Pennsylvania House

Award-Winning B&B

WHY CHOOSE US

Open May 1ST To September 30TH

TEL: +353 74 9126808

MAKE A RESERVATION

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

ATTRACTIONS

"If you want to see what Heaven is like,

Just visit Donegal,

My Lovely Donegal"

 

A Little Piece of Heaven by Daniel O'Donnell

This breath-taking county promises wild landscapes blanketed in bog and heather, isolated white sandy beaches and a roughly hewn coastline.

  • LETTERKENNY

    Letterkenny is the largest town in Donegal and takes its name from the Gaelic Irish “Leitir Ceannain” meaning hillside of the O’Cannon’s.

     

    Donegal County Museum has been opened to the public since 1987. The building is housed in what was once the Warden's House of the Letterkenny Workhouse, built in 1843 The first floor gallery tells the story of County Donegal from the Stone Age to the Twentieth Century, through artefacts and contemporary photographs.

     

    An GrianánᅠTheatreᅠis a modern arts and entertainment venue in Letterkenny in the North West of Ireland. Boasting a 383 capacity auditorium, this state of the art facility is committed to presenting the best in drama, comedy, music and much, much more.

     

    The only Cathedral in the County and one of stature and very imposing architectural character, on the Gothic Style.

     

    The award-winning RCC building designed by MacGabhann Architects is one of the finest arts facilities in Ireland. It opened in 2007 and specialises in exhibitions, music, film and community arts. It is operated by Donegal County Council and receives annual funding from the Arts Council and Letterkenny Town Council.

     

    The Library was opened in 1995, and is on two floors, with Adult lending and Children's areas on the ground floor, and Research resources on the 1st floor. The building also houses the Arts Centre.

    GLENVEAGH CASTLE AND NATIONAL PARK

    Glenveagh Castle and National Park is 16,000 hectares of mountains, lakes, woods and wild bogs. It is home to many species of wildlife including Irelands largest herd of red deer.

     

    Glenveagh National Park; one of only six national parks in Ireland: and Castle is a must for visitors to the area.  The visitors centre provides an introduction to the Park and its natural history through audio visual shows, displays and exhibits. The terrain, habitat, wildlife and vegetation come to life in this beautiful display. The Park has a variety of trails and walks, and gardens display flowers and plants from as far away as Chile, Madeira and Tasmania.  The interior of the Castle may be visited on guided tours daily. The park is home to one of the largest herds red deer in Europe and the golden eagle has being introduced and is thriving.

    GLEBE HOUSE AND GALLERY

    Regency House, 1828, set in woodland gardens, decorated with William Morris textiles, Islamic and Japanese art etc. The collection includes 300 works by leading 20th century artists; Picasso, Kokoshka as well as Irish and Italian artists. Exhibitions are shown in the adjoining gallery.

     

    Access to ground floor of the Gallery for people with disabilities.

    COLMCILLE HERITAGE CENTRE

    Colmcilleᅠis one of the foremost Irish Saints. He was born at Gartan, County Donegal in 521AD and is also known as Saint Columba. His feast day is June 9th.

     

    Colmcille was related to the Uí Neill dynasty, Ríthe (*Kings*) of Ulster, and was famed for his prophesies which are frequently referred to in Donegal folklore. Colmcille established monastries atᅠGlencolmcille, Derry and Kells in Ireland before founding his monastery on the island of Iona in 563AD. It was from there that he brought Christianity to the Picts.

    Iona became the site of a Benedictine Abbey and of a small cathedral. It was at Colmcille's monastery in Iona thatᅠThe Book of Kellsᅠwas compiled. Colmcille was also a prolific poet and some of his poems, in both Latin and Gaelic, survive. Colmcille died in 597AD.

    NEW MILLS

    The oldest surviving building here is said to be 400 years old. Indeed, the whole complex is an interesting reminder of a stage in the industrial development of this country which has now given way to a more sophisticated, but usually far less fascinating technology.

     

    The visitor to Newmills can experience the pleasure of seeing one of the largest waterwheels in Ireland in action as it drives the machinery of the corn mill. The New Mills complex at Milltown, five kilometres west of Letterkenny, has been renovated to full working order and is open to visitors. The complex contains corn and flax mills located on the south bank of the Swilly River. The oldest surviving building is said to be 300 or 400 years old with the oldest mill on the site dated 1683

    DOON WELL

    Down through the years, many stories have been told of miraculous cures for all sorts of ailments and of how disabled or crippled pilgrims were able to leave behind them their sticks, crutches, bandages, etc., after one or more visits.

     

    Tobar an Duin, Donegal's most celebrated Holy Well, has been a place of pilgrimage for hundreds of thousands of people in the past century alone. But its origin and the traditions associated with it go back much further still.

     

    From all parts of the county they have come; devout, humble, prayerful, hopeful; lifting and using the blessed water as a means to spiritual and bodily betterment.

     

     

    ARDS FOREST AND FRIARY

    Over a thousand acres of forest park containing many plants and wildlife. With its sandy beaches, rivers and nature walks it is the most northerly forest park in the country

     

    Ards aims to welcome everyone and is available throughout the year for Retreats (preached, directed, private etc) Conferences, Seminars, periods of rest and relaxation, reflection, prayer and holidays.

     

    It is a lovely Friary and with 200 acres of grounds and many beaches, Ards hosts some spectacular views. Its peace and serenity are not to be missed, allowing you to wonder and explore. Ards Country park is next to the Friary and walks from the Friary, extend into it,

    THE WORKHOUSE AND HERITAGE CENTRE

    The Workhouse Famine and Heritage Centre is on the outskirts of Dunfanaghy in County Donegal overlooking Sheephaven Bay and within easy walking distance of Horn Head and the fabulous Tramore Beach.ᅠ

    Hear and see the true story of wee Hannah, a child of the famine and typical inmate.

    DOE CASTLE

    The name Doe comes from tuath, the Irish word for territory. The castle was erected at Sheephaven Bay nearby Cresslough in the early 16th century by the McSweeneys, a family of Scottish mercenaries. It was a stronghold and the scene of many conflicts down through the years. After many several changes of possession it was bought and repaired by George Vaughan Harte and occupied by his family until 1843. Ownership of the castle was taken over by the State in 1922.

     

    Doe Castle consists of a four storey tower house. On the outside of the north face of the tower is a tomb slab dated 1544 with a elaborate cross.

    LIFFORD OLD COURTHOUSE

    For centuries, Lifford has been the gateway to Donegal, set in a rich Archaeological hinterland. Lifford Courthouse-Witness re-enactments of the famous cases such as the Napper Tandy Trial and the Lord Leitrim Murder.

     

    In the 18th Century Courthouse and Jail in Lifford you can witness the audio visual re-enactments of famous trials held in this historic building.
    Go on a journey through time, as you are transported back to the 18th century to a time when Gaol invoked fear into the hearts of men. Be part of the live Courtroom dramas and take place with the jury to decide the fate of the prisoner. After your prison tour you have also the opportunity to relax in the historic Courthouse Restaurant.


    RAPHOE - THE BELTANY STONE CIRCLE

    Raphoe is set in rich farming country, with lush hedges and low hills capped with Heather and Gorse, with its triangular 'Diamond' is a typical 17th century Plantation town. Beltany Stone Circle - Sixty-four of the original eighty stones remain.

     

    Only 2-3 km from Raphoe (well signposted) you'll find the Beltany Stone Circle. This Stone Circle is made up of 68 large stones enclosing a low earth platform, there may originally have been about 80 stones. A single stone, about 2 metres high, standing to the south-east of the circle probably had some function in relation to ceremonies carried on at the circle.

     

  • RAMELTON

    The name Ramelton derives from the Irish name "Ráth Mealtain", which means "The fort of Mealtain". Archaeological evidences have shown, that in the Ramelton area were settlements since the early Stone Age.

     

    Ships from the Caribbean anchored in Lough Swilly and unloaded exotic cargoes at Ramelton in exchange for linen, corn, meat and fish. Later in the 19th century Ramelton's port changes the methods of transport from sailing to steam ships and continued to prosper.

    In the late 19th and early 20th, Ramelton rivaled Letterkenny to be the most important town in the north of the county.

  • RATHMULLAN AND FANAD

    RATHMULLAN

    Rathmullan is a lovely holiday-town with a 3 km long beautiful sandy beach.ᅠHere are the ruins of a monastery (15th century) its church was reconstructed in the 17th century by a bishop to his residence.


    In 1607, the O'Neill and O'Donnell chieftains fled the country to France in what became known as"The Flight of the Earls".
    Numerous events were celebrated in 2007 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of an imortant date of Irish history.

     

    Beside the harbour is theᅠFlight of the Earls Heritage Centreᅠwhere you find out more about the history.

     

    FANAD AND FANAD LIGHTHOUSE

    To discover the Fanad peninsula you should start in Ramelton and drive clockwise.ᅠ
    Go North through Milford and Kerrykeel.ᅠ
    Before you turn right to Fanad Head you could make an extensive beach walk at Ballyhiernan Bay and enjoy the rough Atlantic.ᅠ
    After that, you come to Fanad Head with the gorgeous lighthouse erected in 1818.ᅠ
    You can't visit the lighthouse but it's a beautiful postcard image.ᅠ

    Behind Portsalon and the famous Ballymastocker Bayᅠ
    you go back on a magnificent costal road towards Rathmullan.

     

  • DONEGAL TOWN

    Donegal Town is a busy shopping and tourist town in south Donegal where the River Eske flows into Donegal Bay.  It was invaded by the Vikings in the 8th century and they used it as a port.  This invasion is where the town got its Gaelic name, Dun na nGall, which means ’Fort of the Foreigners’.  The Vikings built a garrison in the town, thought to have been in the grounds where O'Donnells Castle/Donegal Castle now stands.

     

    In recent years human remains were found in the grounds of Castle these are thought to be Viking.  Donegal Town continued as a port until the 1960s when the last commercial boat left the harbour, sailing to Scotland with its load of electricity poles.

     

    DONEGAL CASTLE

    Built by the O’Donnell chieftains in the 15th Century, beside the river Eske in Donegal Town, Donegal Castle was rebuilt in Jacobean style in the 16th Century by Sir Basil Brooke, after Hugh O’Donnell burnt it to the ground rather than let it fall into enemy hands.

     

    Recently the Office of Public Works has renovated the castle. The keep has had new roofing and flooring added, in keeping with the original styles and techniques used in the 15th and 17th centuries. The stonework has been restored and the manor wing has been partially roofed. The oak timbers used came from the Brookeborough Estate in County Fermanagh. The castle is now open to the public and often hosts events such as Gaelic cultural evenings.

     

    MCGEES TWEADS

    In Donegal, hand-weaving is a skill that has been passed down for centuries through many generations. In the old days, many families lived by hand-spinning and hand-weaving cloth in their homes.

     

    The crofter’s wife made brews of moss and lichen into which to dip and dye the pure new wool from the household sheep. Her husband would then weave the unique family product into cloth to be sold at the tweed market.

     

    MOLLOY SWEATERS

    Molloy Sweaters Ltd is a family run business located in  a region noted for its tradition in knitting, weaving, sheep farming, and fishing.

     

    The company was founded by pioneering hand weaver and craftsman, John Molloy. John Molloy (Ardara) Ltd manufactures a range of Men's and Women's knitwear for export across the world.

     

    Their range embraces both traditional Irish Aran fisherman's sweaters and contemporary fashion knitwear. The John Molloy label offers a diverse range of fashion knitwear accessories, hats, caps, scarves, ponchos, capes, mittens and gloves. John Molloy's Donegal Tweed range includes fabrics, jackets, caps, and ties.

     

  • KILLYBEGS

    Killybegs is an important fishing port at the southern coast of Donegal. It is an event, to see the arrival of the trawlers and how they offload the catch.

     

    Killybegs in Irish is ‘Na Cealla Beaga’ which means little cells due to its association with an early monastic settlement  there is evidence of as many as twenty ring forts, most of them near the shore. The town was named in early Christian times, the name Na Cealla Beaga referring to a group of monastic cells.

     

    Killybegs existence as a fishing port is not recent. When the O’Donnell chieftains were known as the “best lord(s) of fish in Ireland” in the sixteenth century, Killybegs was the chief port of Tír Chonaill.

     

    The 6th Century was a lively time in Killybegs. According to the Annals of the Four Masters, the town was ransacked by the notorious Irish pirates the O’Malley’s in 1513 while its men folk were off fighting.

     

    Fishing provided much employment in the past and is still a chief source employment. Another major employer in Killybegs, was Donegal Carpets. At its peak the hand knotted carpet factory employed as many as 80 workers the majority were women. Carpets were made here for Buckingham Palace, the White House, Aras an Uachtarain, and many other prestigious buildings around the world.

     

  • GLENCOLMCILLE

    In the sixth century, Glencolmcille was chosen as a base by St. Columba, one of Ireland's three patron saints, along with Patrick and Brigid.

     

    James Mc Dyer was born in a small town land called Kilraine in Glenties Co. Donegal on the 14th of September 1910. He was the youngest child of seven. Father McDyer's most indelible impression of his childhood and adolescence was the 'convoy'. This was the gathering of neighbours in the homes of those who were about to emigrate in order to wish them a last farewell on their trip.

     

    The Folk Village Museum offers an excellentᅠguided tourᅠfor the visitor. In the tour you will experience life as it was in the 1700’s, 1800's and 1900’s. The thatched cottage are exact replicas of those belonging to that era and are furnished accordingly.

    GLENGESH PASS

    The Glengesh Pass is a windy section of the road that connects Glencolmcille to Ardara.  The distance between the two towns is approximately 15 miles.  During the drive, motorists can enjoy the farmland, desolate moorland, and tranquil setting.

    SLIEVE LEAGUE CLIFFS

    Slieve League Cliffs (or Sliabh Liag in Gaelic), situated on the south west coast of County Donegal, are said to be the one of the highest and finest marine cliffs in Europe. To fully enjoy the spectacle of Slieve League it is best to leave your car at the car park and walk the few miles to the cliffs so as not to miss the exciting scenery of the area.

     

    There are terrific views of the Atlantic Ocean, the Sligo Mountains and Donegal Bay as you walk towards the terrifyingly high top of Sliabh League, where the cliff face of Bunglas rises over 600m above the raging ocean. Experienced walkers only should venture beyond the viewing point onto One Man's Pass which loops around onto the Pilgrim's Path.

     

  • BUNDORAN

    Bundoran is a glistening gem in an already star-studded line up, a sublime, cool destination with a calibre of surf equal to anywhere. It's shimmering green waters bear the brunt of some of the Atlantic's most thunderous moods and it's shoreline presents a series of headlands and flat rock reefsthet face directly into nearly constant swell. This, the most mystical of Irish counties of the highest quality waves on jade-coloured shores; Whilst it's not the tropics, when it pumps, there are few places you'd rather be !

     

    Bundoran on the south westerly tip of Donegal might seem an unusual location but in Europe, it is one of the few places to warrant the title 'a surfer's paradise' or indeed, 'your Cold Water Eden'.

  • DUNGLOE

    An Clochán Liath (called Dungloe or Dunglow in English) is a Gaeltacht town in County Donegal, Ireland. It is the main town in The Rosses and the largest in the Donegal Gaeltacht.

     

    There is a river at the bottom of the town and years ago the only crossing was over a grey granite slab lying in the riverbed, hence the Irish name of the town, an Clochán Liath, which means the grey stepping-stone.[3] The bridge was built in 1762.

     

    THE MARY FROM DUNGLOE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL

    The Mary From Dungloe International Festival is a popular Irish music festival held annually in Dungloe, the capital of the Rosses region in County Donegal.  This 10 day festival usually takes place at the end of July. The festival has grown in popularity over the years and now regularly attracts thousands of visitors to the area.

     

    The festival is centered around a pageant to ascertain which contestant best reflects the spirit of the festival. This contestant is then crowned “Mary From Dungloe”. The winner holds the title for a year and during that time she acts as a goodwill ambassador for the festival. The Dungloe Festival was launched in 1967.

    DANIEL O'DONNELL VISITOR CENTRE

    He is one of Donegal’s greatest ambassadors and now Daniel O’Donnell has his own museum/visitors’ centre in Dungloe. The Daniel O”Donnell Visitor Centre is an amazing tribute to the Kincasslagh singer. The centre is a Museum dedicated to his life. It will take you through his childhood, adolescence and into the world renowned icon he is today.

     

    If you are a fan of Daniel O’Donnell then you will not want to miss a trip to Dungloe to experience this dedicated permanent tribute to the boy from Donegal.

     

    ERRIGAL

    Errigal  (An Earagail in gaelige), is mountain near Gweedore and it is the tallest peak of the Derryveagh Mountains, the tallest peak in County Donegal, and the 76th tallest peak in Ireland.

     

    Errigal is also the most southern, steepest and highest of the mountain chain, called the "Seven Sisters" by locals. On a clear day enjoy amazing views towards Muckish, Tory Island, Bloody Foreland and Slieve Snaght.

     

    After reaching the summit, people usually walk the short but exposed walk along ‘One Man’s Pass’ which leads across to the second and lower of the twin summits. No special equipment is needed to climb the mountain, but caution is advised.

  • INISHOWEN

    Inishowen is a peninsula in County Donegal, Ireland. It is also the largest peninsula in all of the island of Ireland. Inishowen is a picturesque location with a rich history. The peninsula includes Irelands' most northerly point, Malin Head, along with Lagg sand dunes, some of the highest in Europe, as well as Grianán an Aileach, a royal fort constructed by the Clan Uí Néill in the sixth century. The Grianán stands at the entrance to the peninsula.

     

    The Inishowen Genealogy Centre offers a genealogical service with data about familes from across the north west of Ireland. The premises is a former residence dating from the 17th century which safeguards important records from across the Inishowen region. The staff at the centre deals with all types of researchers tracing ancestry and their computers contain information about local families.

    GRIANAN OF AILEACH FORT

    This mysterious ancient ring fort is unquestionably the most interesting antiquity in Inishowen. Built of dry stones, the circular fort commands one of the most breathtaking views to be found anywhere in Ireland, Looking down on a vast panorama of fields, mountains, valleys, rivers and ocean, that covers five counties – its a must see for any visitor. This ring fort belongs to the most impressive ancient monuments Donegals..

     

    It is believed to have been built as a pagan temple around the 5th century BC. The fort became the royal residence of the O'Neill's. It was damaged in the 12th century and was restored in 1870. The fort stands at the entrance to the Inishowen Peninsula, overlooking Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle. If the weather is clear, you have a memorable and fantastic panorama view.

     

    DOAGH FAMINE VILLAGE

    Located on the beautiful Isle of Doagh on Inishowen the Doagh Visitor Centre opened in 1997 on a small scale. Many new displays have since been added.

     

    The outdoor museum tells the story of life in this area in the 1970's going back to the Famine in the 1840's. A Famine Village and typical dwellings, from those lived in earlier times such as Sod or Turf Houses.

     

    The Irish Famine was at worst during the years 1845 to 1848, over this period the population dropped from 8 million to 4 million through death and emigration.

     

    The staff at the centre offer guided tours, who in less than 15 minutes will give you an understanding of past Irish history.

    FORT DUNREE

    Views from the car park area and the cliffs give good opportunities for observing sea life at the mouth of Lough Swilly. Bottle Nose Dolphins are sometimes seen in large numbers and the Otter, normally associated more with rivers than the sea, can also be seen hunting fish and crabs below the cliffs.

     

    Near to the spot where Wolfe Tone was brought ashore in 1798 a small fort was erected to guard against the possible return of a French invasion fleet. In the late 19th century the fort was enlarged and modernised. It was transferred to Ireland in 1938, just before the beginning of the Second World War. During the war Irish Forces were based there to prevent the navies of warring nations from violating the country's neutrality

  • GOLF COURSES

    BALLYLIFFIN GOLF CLUB

    BALLYLIFFIN, INISHOWEN, DONEGAL

    +353 74 9376119

    http://www.ballyliffingolfclub.com/

    ROSAPENNA GOLF CLUB,

    DOWNINGS, ROSAPENNA, DONEGAL

    +353 74 9155301

    http://www.rosapenna.ie/

    PORTSALON GOLF CLUB

    PORTSALON, LETTERKENNY, DONEGAL

    +353 74 9159459

    http://www.portsalongolfclub.com/

    DUNFANAGHY GOLF CLUB

    KILL, DUNFANAGHY, DONEGAL

    +353 74 9136335

    http://www.dunfanaghygolfclub.com/

    LETTERKENNY GOLF CLUB

    BARNHILL, LETTERKENNY, DONEGAL

    +353 74 9159459

    http://www.letterkennygolfclub.com/

    LETTERKENNY GOLF CLUB

     

  • BEACHES

    PORTSALON/BALLYMASTOCKER BEACH

    CULDAFF BEACH

    RATHMULLAN BEACH

    ROSSNOWLAGH BEACH

    DUNREE BEACH

    FINTRA BEACH

    KNOCKALLA BEACH

    CORAL BEACH

    TRAMERE BEACH

    MARBLE HILL BEACH

  • OUTSIDE DONEGAL

    DERRY

    Derry (Londonderry) is the second largest city of Northern Ireland, located beside the River Foyle and one of Irelands most historical cities.

     

    Derry is the last remaining completely walled city in Ireland and is one of the best-restored city walls in Europe. It was completed in 1618 to protect settlers from Scotland and England. The wall is more than 24 ft (8 m) high and somewhere more than 27,3 ft (9 m) thick. The colossal city walls have never been breached, not even during the siege of 1689, when 7000 out of population of 20.000 perished from disease or starvation.

     

    Derry City was named City of Cultural for 2013.

    DERRY GUILD HALL

    The Guildhall in Derry, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, is a building in which the elected members of Derry City Council meet. It was built in 1890.

     

    The Guildhall houses a large hall where many events of social and political nature have been held. It has been home to the Feis Doire Colmcille – an event which celebrates Irish culture - and the now-discontinued Londonderry Feis. It was also home to the Saville Inquiry into the events of Bloody Sunday 30 January 1972 in Derry.

    ULSTER AMERICAN FOLK PARK

    The Ulster American Folk Park is located outside Omagh. The Park is split into 2 areas - The Old World (Ireland) and New World (USA) -  layout illustrates the various aspects of emigrant life on both sides of the Atlantic.

    GIANT CAUSEWAY

    The Giant's Causeway is an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic eruption. It is located in County Antrim on the northeast coast of Northern Ireland, about three miles (4.8 km) northeast of the town of Bushmills.

     

    In a 2005 poll of Radio Times readers, the Giant's Causeway was named as the fourth greatest natural wonder in the United Kingdom.

     

    CARRICK-A-REDE ROPE BRIDGE

    12.5 miles east of the Giant's Causeway, behind Ballintoy
    (Co Antrim), you reach one of the most tourist attractions in Northern Ireland, the "Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge".


    The bridge hangs crosses a 24m deep and 18m wide chasm to the tiny Carrick Island. Orginally a practical link to allow fishermen access to Carrick Island, a spot favoured by salmon. If you are bold enough to cross without thinking too much about the sea swirling below, it is a real adventure.

    BUSH MILLS DISTILLERY

    The Old Bushmills Distillery is a distillery in Bushmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is owned and operated by Diageo plc, and is a popular tourist attraction, with around 120,000 visitors per year.

     

    According to the company, a distillery by this name was first recorded in 1743, although at the time it was "in the hands of smugglers", The Bushmills Distillery claims to be — and is almost unanimously considered to be — the oldest licensed distillery in the world. The Bushmills Old Distillery Company itself was not established until 1784 by Hugh Anderson.

  • DONEGAL SCENERY

    GWEEDORE BEACH

    POLE STAR, LETTERKENNY

    DRY ARCH, LETTERKENNY

    POISON GLEN, DUNLEWEY

    RIVER FINN

    MUCKISH MOUNTAIN

    SUNSET, BLOODY FORELAND

    SUNRISE, ERRIGAL

    RED DEER, DUNLEWEY

    TEACH BIDDIES, GORTAHORK

GET IN CONTACT

FOLLOW US ON

Pennsylvania House

Mountain Top, Letterkenny

Co. Donegal

Telephone: +353 74 9126808

info@accommodationdonegal.com

Geo Co-ordinates

latitude: 54.97785995957701

longitude: -7.732744216918945

HomeAbout | Rooms  |  Gallery Menu  |  FacilitiesAttractionsContact Us